A healthy, creamy winter’s meal. Served with sweet potato mash.
Creamy Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2 T Coconut oil or any oil you use
- 8 Chicken pieces bone-in (always better)
- 1/4 cup Tapioca starch or any kind of thickening agent
- 100 g Sun-dried tomatoes dried
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Green Pepper chopped
- 1/2 punnet Mushrooms sliced
- 1 t Thyme dried
- 1 t Mixed herbs dried
- a few shakes Chicken Seasoning Ina Paarman / Salt and Pepper
- 1 can Coconut milk preferably not lite
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- Basil shredded
- Seasoning to taste
Sweet Potato Mash
- 6 chopped/peeled Jewel Sweet Potatoes I like orange, but any will do
- 1 T Butter Can be olive oil
- 1/2 cup Dbl Cream Plain Yoghurt Or cream / coconut milk / plain yoghurt
- 1 shake Nutmeg
- Seasoning To taste
Preheat oven to 180 deg C
Heat 1 T oil in an oven-compatible pan
Season chicken and brown in batches
Add 1T oil to the pan and fry onions, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms and saute. Add tomatoes and saute
Add herbs and seasoning and saute
Add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Bring to boil.
Scoop out 2/4 cup of the liquid, pour it into a jug/bowl. Add the tapioca starch, mix to make a slurry. Pour back into the pot and mix
Add the chicken to the pan, cover with sauce ingredients and cover with lid. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
Check that the chicken is cooked, check seasoning and top with basil.
Sweet Potato Mash
While the chicken is in the oven, put the chopped and peeled potatoes in a pot with water and salt and bring to boil
Once the potatoes are soft, drain and add the rest of the ingredients
Mash to desired consistency
I always add chopped fresh chilies to my food on my plate. I used to be obsessed with Tabasco, but far more enjoy the warmth created by fresh chilies. If I didn't have children, I would add chilies with my onion. One day, my boys will love chili as much as I do...
I've tweaked this delicious recipe from: https://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/clean-eating-recipes/clean-eating-chicken-recipe/?pp=1