Who says meatballs should be beefy with spaghetti?
- 500 gr Pork mince
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 Apple grated
- 2 t Dried fennel
- 1 Baby fennel finely chopped
- 1 t Dried parsley
- 1 t Fish Seasoning Cape Herbs & Spices (a happy mistake)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Spray and Cook
Low carb Mash
- 8 Baby Turnips quartered
- 8 Young Carrots chopped
- T Butter
- 1/3 can Coconut cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches Asparagus bottomed and halved
- 3 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 t Ina Paarman's Rosemary and Olive Seasoning
- splash Olive oil
- 1 T Butter
- 1/2 Lemon juice of
- Pepper to season
- 1 punnet Patti Pans halved
- splash Olive oil
- 1 t Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to season
Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
Throw all the meatball ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix. Take your wedding ring off and go to town.
Prepare a baking dish with Spray and Cook - the old faithful Pyrex dish works wonders.
Make medium-sized meatballs, or whichever size you prefer and place in the baking dish - not too close together.
Put the pattis into another baking dish, splash with oil and sprinkle with the seasoning. Shake the dish to mix everything together.
Put the turnips and carrots into a pot with water and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft.
Bake the meatballs and pattis for about 20 minutes and then grill for about 5 minutes, until brown.
While the meatballs, turnips and pattis are cooking, fry the asparagus in the oil, butter, seasoning and garlic. Just as the asparagus is ready, squeeze the lemon onto the asparagus and saute until the asparagus is ready.
When the turnips are soft, drain and add the butter, seasoning and coconut cream. Puree with a stick blender.
- A four-year-old's hands create great sized meatballs.
- Don't stress if you accidentally use fish seasoning instead of pepper. At first I had a moment, then I looked at the ingredients and saw that they echoed the seasoning I was already using, so I just amped up my flavour!
- I was inspired by a few recipes, but a lot of this recipe was me.